How to Make a Reef (or Square) Knot
The Reef Knot or Square Knot is a “Binding Knot” used to secure a rope, string, or line to an object. The knot is used to tie two ends of the same rope together around an object to secure them together. This particular knot has been used for bandages and other things for hundreds of years.
Although people tend to use it for joining two ropes together, it is not recommended for this purpose due to it’s instablity, and its potential to slip out under tension. To join two ropes, lines, or strings together you would use a Bend Knot.
Step 1: Tying the first overhand knot.
1. Take your right cord and place it over your left cord.
2. Now continue with that cord and wrap it under the left cord.
3. Still with the right cord, carry it over the left cord.
4. This is what it should look like once slightly tightened.
Step 2: Completing the second overhand knot.
Now you’re tying the same knot like you did in step 1, except you’re starting with the left cord (which was the right cord previously) and going over your right cord.
1. Take your left cord and place it over your right cord.
2. Now continue with the left cord and wrap it under the right cord.
3. Still with the left cord continue it over the right cord.
4. This is what it will look like once loosely finished..